Last year I enjoyed seeing photos that members of the Crochet Potholder Swap posted on Flickr. I kicked myself repeatedly for not joining the fun - I just didn't have the crochet confidence or the time. A few weeks back I was thrilled to see that Maryse (check out her new Very Braidy Cowl pattern), Adrian, Maritza and Stacie decided to host the swap again this year. I jumped right in and ordered a good bit more yarn than was necessary from Elann. Despite ruminating that I really didn't have the time to participate this year either I got to work. It turns out that crocheting 5 potholders isn't really that large a commitment. I managed to make my five in 3 or 4 days. Now I'm back to secret, deadline knitting as I obsess about making more potholders.
Pattern: Potholders by Bea Aarebrot (I didn't actually use a pattern - I improvised. But my potholders look just like this pattern.)
Yarn: Elann Sonata (except for the lime green that's Rowan 4 Ply Cotton)
Hooks: I used a 3.5mm for two of them and 3.0mm for the other 3. I think both sizes worked equally well and will probably use the 3.5mm if I make any more. The yarn kept slipping off the 3mm hook.
A note on the swap: If you decide to join in be sure to read the rules. Potholders will be sent back to those who do not follow the rules exactly.